There are two ways to flash a new firmware.
The easy way is from setup menu. This is not advisable, there are cases that the upgrade has gone bad with this method.
The best way is the “forced update”. Here are the detailed steps.
- The device is off.
- You press the reset button (a little hole on the side) with a toothpick and keep it pressed.
- You switch on the device while the reset button is still pressed.
- The device starts and the little screen says UPDATE.
- You stop pressing the reset button – take off the toothpick.
- Now you can insert the USB stick with the image file of firmware (it must be a decompressed file, name extension should be .img).
- I personally use the blue USB 3.0 port.
- The device starts reading the USB stick and starts the update.
Bad news for all Bast Castle firmware users. The project’s page at Google code site has gone. There are no news for some place where the project will continue.
Bast Castle was in testing of the newer 1.04 release this summer. Last link for this version is
I am very glad that this blog has so many visitors. This is only because everybody has encountered the same problems and expectations as i was when i started tweeking my media player.
I noticed that many people want to share their experience and knowledge with others so we have many replies on the blog posts, but this is a bit uncomfort. The best way to organize your contribution is by an organized forum.
I only added one main topic for general questions and answears, i hope you will find this more practical than posting on the blog articles. You can also send your suggestions about the blog.
The case: You want to use Android applications and want to install a new .apk file on your R6S.
If you notice the manual, about android application installation, you will see it reffers to the SD card reader.
But the R6S does not have one! What do you do?